"It can never be forgotten that discrimination is the antithesis of equality and that it is the recognition of equality which will foster the dignity of every individual." - Supreme Court of Canada in Vriend v. Alberta
Allison practices aboriginal and business law with a focus on economic development and environmental issues. Allison is the senior managing lawyer of our Vancouver office.
Allison’s litigation experience includes advising clients in all levels of Court in British Columbia, as well as the National Energy Board and British Columbia Utilities Commission and assisting clients in the Federal Courts and Supreme Court of Canada. Allison has been counsel on such leading cases as West Moberly First Nations et al v. British Columbia et al (Western Boundary), Moulton Contracting Ltd. v. British Columbia et al., and on behalf of a First Nation at the National Energy Board hearings for the Trans Mountain Expansion Project.
Allison also advises First Nations on complex economic development and specific claim negotiations. Recent selected work includes:
• Acting as lead counsel to negotiate settlement of a historic specific claim between Canada, BC and certain First Nations regarding land entitlement, compensation valuation, additions to reserve and trust settlement
• Overseeing a complex restructuring for a First Nation with over 20 corporations, societies, partnerships and related land, business and trust activities
• Drafting and advising First Nation governments on governance policies including membership and election codes
• Acting for a First Nation-owned partnership in a commercial real estate purchase of a hotel and related commercial and residential properties
• Advising several First Nations limited partnerships on governance, tax, management and corporate reporting issues
• Advising a First Nation-owned company in northeastern British Columbia on environmental remediation and regulatory issues regarding a diesel fuel spill
Allison focuses on developing comprehensive strategies for advising First Nations’ governments and related businesses, which has resulted in over a decade of experience working with a diverse team of specialists from accountants and investment advisers to land use planners and environmental professionals.